Wednesday 21 January 2009

Att, Till, Bor du i?

I was browsing Youtube a few days ago and came across a guy called Philip Hansen from Landskrona - the far south of Sweden! He kindly agreed to be on hand if I ever had a question about the Swedish language. Figured the more Swedish people I can be in contact with the better.

StEvE says:
I have a quick question re: the langauge, if you don't mind?

- напѕеп. says:
shoot

StEvE says:
when someone asks "bor du i oxford?" What exactly is the question?

- напѕеп. says:
"Dou you live in Oxford?"

StEvE says:
can it also be asked "kommer du från oxford?"

- напѕеп. says:
yeah, I guess you could

StEvE says:
my book has been telling me the kommer du way, and has switched to bor du without explanation so i got a bit confused

- напѕеп. says:
but the sentence "Kommer du ifrån Oxford?", could also be used to ask people "where they're from" - if you'd like to ask where the person grew up you should use "Kommer du ifrån Oxford?"

StEvE says:
cool - one more quickie, att and till - do they both mean "to"

- напѕеп. says:
"Att" is used in sentences like "Att spela fotboll är roligt" > "It's fun _to_ play soccer
"Till" is used when you say: "I gave it _to_ my sister" "Im going over _to_ my friends house now"

StEvE says:
so if you are to play, or to sleep, or to smell it would be att, but if you were going somewhere would you say till?

- напѕеп. says:
yeah, you got it

StEvE says:
would you mind me quoting you in my blog?

- напѕеп. says:
no, not at all

StEvE says:
brilliant, your name is Hansen?

- напѕеп. says:
well, thats my surname

StEvE says:
efternamn?

- напѕеп. says:
exactly

StEvE says:
i'm getting there!

1 comment:

  1. "Att" describes a verb, you use it before saying you do something :)

    Can't believe how fast a lagnuage learner you are! :D
    x

    ReplyDelete